Drum Roll, Please!

Wednesday was a crazy day. We’d been anxiously awaiting Collin’s mission call to come (they usually always arrive on Wednesdays in Utah) and got the sad news from the post office that no mission calls had arrived that day due to the Monday holiday (Martin Luther King Day).

So–one more day of waiting.

Thursday morning I got a call at 6:15 a.m. from the post office telling me that a special envelope had arrived for Collin Bearnson. My dear friend and neighbor, Sandy Modersitzski, also was awaiting her daughter’s mission call (the cute gal with Collin in the last post). So, being ecstatic and a little crazy moms, we drove to the post office together in the wee hours of the morning to collect the calls!

photo copy 3 620x620 Drum Roll, Please!

I was a bundle of nerves the entire day. Where would Collin go? When would he go?

The bewitching hour, 7:00 p.m., finally arrived and Collin opened the envelope in a room full of family and friends who adore him!

photo copy 4 620x620 Drum Roll, Please!

We had all guessed on a huge map where he’d go:

photo copy 6 620x465 Drum Roll, Please!

On June 6th, 2013, Collin will begin living in the beautiful country of New Zealand for two years!

ws New Zealand flag 1680x1050 620x387 Drum Roll, Please!

He will primarily be living in Wellington and surrounding areas:

96821 004 F0FE4B7F Drum Roll, Please!

Four people guessed Auckland, New Zealand but none for Wellington!

Collin, our entire family and and all our friends are extremely thrilled! This is one place on my bucket list to visit so hmmmm–maybe we will go pick him up! This is what my sign says today:

photo copy 5 620x465 Drum Roll, Please!

Thanks for all your notes of support and love! This mom’s heart is breaking a little but I’m so glad my boy is spreading his wings ready to fly! Oh–and his friend, Ally, is going to Bulgaria in June. Her older sister, McCall, will also be going on a mission to France in April.

Love, Lisa

P.S. If you’ve ever been to New Zealand or currently live there, please leave your advice on weather, culture, etc.

facebook Drum Roll, Please!twitter Drum Roll, Please!google plus Drum Roll, Please!share save 171 16 Drum Roll, Please!

40 Responses to “Drum Roll, Please!”

1. Ashley says:

I lived in New Zealand for three years. Absolutely beautiful country and culture. Part of my family still live there in Auckland on the north island. I am not a Mormon but congratulations.

2. Hollie Carlson says:

Hey Lisa,
    I was so excited to read about Collin’s mission call. It was especially cool because I know his mission president. Michael Kezerian is a member of my ward. His wife Sandy is an amazing lady. He was a member of our stake presidency in the Hillcrest stake prior to being called as a mission president. He and his wife are two of the best people I know!! He will love them and they will love him I’m sure. We need to get together and catch up.

3. Leigh says:

I’m a kiwi who has been living in (and loving) Wellington for 14 years. It’s our small but vibrant capital – very cosmopolitan with much in the way of arts and cultural events. Of course NZ has a lot of nature to explore and adventurous activities. Wellington can have fantastic days and some really windy ones, but we don’t have extremes in the seasons. My
    US ex-pat friends agree that it’s like Seattle. With a US Embassy here, we have a lot of Americans here doing their tours of duty – Wellington is considered one of the best postings because the country is relatively safe and the lifestyle easy. Wellington is a transient city as government is here, and two universities, and a lot of migrants settle here… so we have a melting pot of people from all over NZ and the world. To see the sorts of events that we have here, I recommend wotzon dot com – it’s a Wellington website that has pretty much everything listed from sporting events to free movies under the stars to opera and ballet.

4. Pat says:

Where did you get the plate that you wrote the message on?

5. Sandrine says:

Congrats!!!
    I’m French, currently living in South East close to Italy and Mediterranean Sea so if McCall needs something or has some questions, feel free to send me an email.

6. Connie says:

Congratulations! My daughter is serving in Perth, Australia. I highly recommend joining the missionary moms e-mail list for New Zealand. You will find a group of extremely helpful moms who can answer most any question. Some of the moms live in New Zealand and can give extra insight. If you can’t find the missionary moms list with a search, drop me a note and I will send you a link. Again, congratulations to your son and your entire family.

7. congratulations to you all –

8. Sara says:

Hi I also live in New Zealand, Auckland actually. As my fellow South Island Kiwi from beautiful & brave Christchurch has already pointed out, Wellington is reknowed for wind & rain but it is a truly lovely city and I am sure Collin will love living there! I do hope you get the opportunity to come and visit him and see and experience what us “kiwis” are so very proud of.

9. Lesley says:

How exciting for your family. I live in Auckland, New Zealand, and Wellington is a wonderful city also. In winter it can get very cold, and windy. Wellington’s nik name is Windy Wellington, so a good coat, and warm clothes for winter is a must. You are going to love NZ the people are friendly, helpful and generally very kind. NZ love rugby, and the” All Blacks”, and is a very col city in general NZ is lucky to host him.

10. Jennifer says:

Kia Ora (Hi), I am from NZ, but living in Arizona. As others have mentioned, Collin will love NZ the place, the people, the food and the laid-back way of life. Here are a couple of websites you might find interesting: http://www.newzealand.com/us/. http://www.korero.maori.nz/forlearners/protocols/geetings.html

11. Renee says:

How exciting! I have to say I had to go back and look at the picture you posted of Ali. My daughter has a really good friend who is attending BYU this year and she has an older sister named McCall. I was soshocked when I read that. They don’t happen to have two brothers? LoL

12. Karen says:

Hi Lisa

My son lives in Wellington and we visited there and wished we could stay. It is a wonderful small city, the people are friendly, lifestyle is relaxed and i’ve never had so much wonderful coffee. They know how to make coffee there and here are so many wonderful places to visit. I’m sure he will be very happy there. The weather can be wet and windy, for the 3 weeks we were there we had no rain or wind and enjoyed the most wonderful warm sunny days. There are lots of hills around so lots of wonderful views and walks to do. Our favourite walk was from the Brooklyn Windmill all along the hills to Red Rocks. There are also so many beautiful beaches. As South Africans we likened the atmosphere and lifestyle to Cape Town. A special thing to note is the studios where all the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit costumes, sets etc are made and filming is in a suburb of Wellington and worth a visit.

13. Jennifer Gresham says:

I know you are a little sad Lisa but this will be a life changing experience for Collin and worth the separation. I know you know this. It is tough letting them go. Congrats to Collin!
    Jen

14. Wendy Hansen says:

Hi, Sister Bearnson!

Congratulations to Elder Bearnson on his call to serve in New Zealand! That is totally amazing! He will have the time of his life!

On a personal note: I heard you with my heart when you said your heart was breaking a little because he will be so very far away. That is because you’re a good mom who raised a righteous and worthy son.

If that sounds familiar, it’s because I’m quoting you. You wrote that to me over a year ago at Christmas, when my own son was at the MTC, training for his mission in Thailand.

On the day he left for Thailand, I was a wreck! I was so worried that he’d hate the food, and be homesick, get bitten by a rabid dog, etc. So I knelt in tearful prayer, and asked The Lord to take care of my only son. As I prayed, I felt comfort, love, and peace being draped around me, like a blanket or a hug. It was tangible. I knew then, without a doubt, that our Father in Heaven knows our hearts are breaking. He knows and feels what we feel as mothers. He was sending me love and the knowledge that He would watch over and take care of my boy.

I testify to you that Heavenly Father will also bless and comfort you and watch over your son.

Elder Teddy Hansen now has about eight months left, and he is amazed at how quickly the time has gone by. He has mastered the language, loves the food, ridden an elephant, and petted a live tiger! He is currently the District Leader, and is loving every minute of his service to The Lord.

I will pray for you and Elder Bearnson daily. He will be an awesome missionary. Thank you once again for the words of support you shared. It really meant the world to me. You are a wonderful Missionary Mom once more! It’s awesome!

15. Shani says:

Hi….I live in Wellington NZ :-) I have done for 20 odd years. I would agree with the statements above re the city and country side. We are a city with lots happening all the time. Very much into the arts and sports. Great restaurants, cafes, and of course the scenery can leave you breathless some days. When it comes to travel it really dosent take long to get any where. The public transport system in Wellington is excellent. We have just had the most amazing hot summer, very little rain. June obviously will be winter….but wont be as cold as you are used to :-) If there are any questions you may have re the city (my husband is in the police so we know what goes on pretty well)…please just ask. Collin will love it here I am sure.