“Life is All About How you Handle Plan B.
Plan A is always my first choice.
You know, the one where
Everything works out to be
But more often than not,
I find myself dealing with
The upside-down, inside-out version–
Where nothing goes as it should.
It’s at this point that the real
Test of my character comes in.
Do I sink, or do I swim?
Do I wallow in self pity and play the victim,
Or simply shift gears
And make the best of the situation?
The choice is all mine …
Life is all about how you handle Plan B.”
― Suzy Toronto, The Sacred Sisterhood Of Wonderful Wacky Women
Every second week of June, we embark on a wonderful week-long journey. We’ve had this tradition for 11 years! Lake Powell on a house boat just can’t be beat! This is an arial view of this amazing lake:
This year we parked the houseboat in beautiful Moqui Canyon:
The canyon wall that you see served as a perfect movie screen at night. The beach proved to be the most fun spot for these 9-year-old boys. They spent hours digging this fort:
Our next-door neighbors parked “just down the stream” with their houseboat:
These were some of the highlights! While there are always little mishaps here and there, this year took the cake as far as things going wrong. Here’s the list:
1. Winds that were relentless until the last day we were there. This made for colder water and choppier water sports.
2. A high-centered car in the sand which resulted in a $1,300.00 towing fee.
3. Two iPhones falling in the water.
4. Two sets of keys falling in the water. The first was my husband’s and the second set belonged to a friend who was trying to save Steve’s keys when his keys fell into the water!
5. A badly dinged speed boat propeller from the rough water and rocks which resulted in a new prop and fixing the old one.
6. A broken TV due to a stool leg accidentally hitting it.
7. A fridge that stopped working.
Okay–now you’re saying to yourself that you NEVER want to go to Lake Powell after hearing this list! Please believe me that this was unusual this year! Luckily our group was able to go with Plan B and still had a fabulous time! Here are were some of the amazing blessings:
1. Fed-Ex goes to the Marina at Lake Powell and extra keys were expedited to us so cars could get us home.
2. Because of the car and phone incidents, this dad who needed to get home for work was able to stay for two extra days! What was he to do? NO PHONE + NO CAR = MORE REST AND RELAXATION!
3. The marina just happened to have an extra fridge for us to borrow!
4. The winds made for some great tubbing moments:
It also provided time for some serious game playing and hair braiding inside the houseboat. This pic cracked me up. I walked into the main room and saw this:
Jet skiing is also more fun in rougher water:
5. Surfing is one thing that’s easy to do with wind. The boat goes very slow so the surf is just right. This was quite the sight to behold–Taylor and her friend, Shell, together on the surf board!
6. The biggest blessing of all was the love we all felt for one another and that nobody received any injuries.
7. Oh–and all the relaxation wasn’t bad either!
So grateful for the lessons learned about Plan B! It really was a great week!